Saturday, January 29, 2011

'Jacare' vs. Lawler: What wins out, jiu-jitsu or striking?

Rich Chou may not be a known entity amongst casual sports fans, but he could be eventually if he keeps trotting out matchups like Robbie Lawler and Ronaldo "Jacare" Souza. Souza is one of the most dangeorus jiu-jitsu practitioners in mixed martial arts and Lawler is one of the sport's most dangerous knockout artists. Something has to give in this matchup unhatched by Strikeforce's young matchmaker (Showtime 10 p.m. ET/PT).

Jacare (pictured on the left) knows he's got to protect himself and get the fight to the ground. 

“My plan is to bring jiu-jitsu to the fight. I don’t know how or when but I’m well prepared," Jacare said during the Strikeforce teleconference. "My guard is up and I will be 100 percent ready to go and fight. The plan for the fight is to bring jiu-jitsu to the table when the time is right.”

That where the problem starts for Jacare, all fights start on the feet. The Brazilian is still learning how to box and protect himself. Lawler, who possesses solid takedown defense, packs a huge wallop in his fists. His last three wins have all come in dramatic fashion via strikes.

“I have a great gym behind me. We’ve been training a lot in cardio and boxing and learning how to walk around the cage and the ring. I know he’s a good boxer so I’m doing everything necessary to prepare for that," Jacare said. "I’ve been training everything: boxing, wrestling, Jiu Jitsu, so I’m prepared to go in there and show everything."

Just eight weeks ago, Lawler finished off Matt Lindland with a vicious right hand in just 50 seconds. Keep in mind, Lawler is a southpaw.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/-Jacare-vs-Lawler-What-wins-out-jiu-jitsu-or?urn=mma-313845

Aki Ross Alecia Elliott Alessandra Ambrosio Alexis Bledel Ali Campoverdi Ali Larter Alice Dodd

No comments:

Post a Comment