Thursday, June 30, 2011

Story looks to keep rampage through welterweight division going at UFC on Versus 4

Rick Story is talking some lofty goals.

Who would've picked the 170-pounder out of Washington to post back-to-back wins over Thiago Alves and Nate Marquardt? He's already accomplished one half of the task and jumped at the opportunity to take on Marquardt, a former title contender at middleweight.

Story, who took the fight on just 24 days notice, likes his chances.

"I don't go into any fight thinking I'm not going to win. I go in knowing I'm going to win in every single fight," Story told ProMMARadio.

A former college wrestler at Southern Oregon, Story now looks to finish things with his hands.

"I want it to end by knockout. That's the ultimate," Story said. "I think it'll depend on how good of shape Marquardt is in after this weight cut. If he fades, I'm going to TKO him. Probably late 2nd or third round."

Story (13-3, 6-1 UFC) believes a spectacular win over a big name like Marquardt should get him a crack at the belt. That's big talk from a guy who actually lost his UFC debut a little over two years ago.

"I think that the win over Marquardt by finish should put me in position for a title shot. I think a lot of people would agree with me," Story said. "Finishing Marquardt, a former top contender at 185 pounds, a higher weight class, should move me into that spot."

That spot is inhabited by Georges St-Pierre, one of the world's top two fighters in MMA. That would be a heckuva leap for a guy who was recently ranked No. 23 in the world at 170. Seems unlikely, but so did this recent run of six straight wins. Story believes it can it happen, maybe it's time the rest do as well.

Source: http://sports.yahoo.com/mma/blog/cagewriter/post/Story-looks-to-keep-rampage-through-welterweight?urn=mma-wp3846

Emma Heming Emma Stone Emma Watson Emmanuelle Chriqui Emmanuelle Vaugier Emmy Rossum

No comments:

Post a Comment