Tuesday, June 22, 2010

Referee hands Wiman the win over Danzig at UFC 115

Referee hands Wiman the win over Danzig at UFC 115

Yves Lavigne isn't a bad referee but he blew it tonight to open the Spike telecast of UFC 115. Mac Danzig was holding out against a Matt wiman guillotine choke when Lavigne misread the situation and prematurely stopped the fight. It looked like he was talked into the stoppage by Wiman, who twice said, "he's out!" But it was clear Danzig wasn't, throwing both hands in the air the second the fight was ended (pictured). Tough luck. Wiman gets the win at 1:45 of the first round at GM Place in Vancouver.

"It's very unfortunate," Wiman told UFC analyst Joe Rogan. "You guys don't get what we go through getting ready for these fights. I thought he was out, maybe. I guess the fair thing is to start us back in the choke. I don't know."

Danzig handled the screw job with class.�

"Yves Lavigne and any referee has a very hard job in this sport," said Danzig.

Wiman caught Danzig in the choke with 3:49 left in the opening round. Danzig had top control when he left his head exposed. Wiman was able to reverse the position and work for the finish from the top. It appeared to be tight but Danzig was doing a nice job of keeping the left side of his neck clear of danger.�

"I was posting on his knee. When (the referee) grabbed my arm (to check if I was conscious). I'm trying to stay safe. If I wouldve let go off his knee he would've gotten (the choke)," said Danzig. "I wasn't about to tap. I still had this whole side of my neck free. It's very random. I hope we can do this again."

It's hard to kill Wiman for trying to get the fight stopped but he was partially responsible for the bad call.�

"When a fighter rolls over, he's in the last ditch effort. I had it pretty tight. I felt him go a little limp. Maybe he was reserving but I thought he went out."

Danzig (19-8-1, 3-4 UFC) certainly didn't need another loss, even if this one was questionable. The champ from Season 6 of "The Ultimate Fighter" has only won two fights since his title victory over Tommy Speer and has now lost 4-of-5. Wiman (11-6, 6-3 UFC), a TUF 5 alum, has won two straight.� �

Non-televised fights:�

Mario Miranda def. David Loiseau via TKO (Strikes) - Round 2, 4:07.
James Wilks def. Peter Sobotta via unanimous decision (30-27, 30-28, 30-27)
Claude Patrick def. Ricardo Funch via submission (guillotine choke) - Round 2, 1:48.
Mike Pyle def. Jesse Lennox via submission (triangle choke) - Round 3, 4:44.




Amanda Righetti
Emma Stone
Emmy Rossum
Ashley Greene

No comments:

Post a Comment